Here’s a recipe request from Jeannie Dauber. Her and her husband Dennis spent a fun weekend as my guests at the Bridge Street Inn in Charlevoix, Michigan, kayaking, site seeing, dining and enjoying some great wine! I made this for the first course of breakfast one morning. It also makes a delicious dessert or even as a snack with coffee anytime of the day!
You will need a 9 inch Spring Form pan for this recipe. It’s a 3 step process but don’t let that deter you, it’s actually a pretty simple and quick recipe.
For the filling:
1/4 cup sugar
8 oz. cream cheese-softened
1 egg white
1 cup raspberries-washed and well drained
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the cake:
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5.5 Tablespoons unsalted butter- softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Streusel topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter-chilled and cubed
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 9 inch spring form pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) To make the filling: Mix together the cream cheese and sugar on medium-low speed until creamy. Add egg white and mix on low just to combine. Set aside.
3) To make the cake batter: In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
With an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar on medium-low speed. Add egg and egg yolk and vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Spread the cream cheese filling on top. Place raspberries onto cream cheese filling and sprinkle chocolate chips around them.
4) To make the topping: Combine sugar, flour and chilled cubed butter in a bowl. Stir with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.( Make sure the streusel is in pea-sized crumbs)
Sprinkle the streusel on top of raspberries and chocolate
5) Bake for 40-45 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, run a thin knife around the cake and loose ring of spring form pan.
Store in the fridge or serve warm once it cools down.